SANTA LUCIA BASTION-MAGAZINE

Around the bastion, in what was known as the “Saint Lucia colony” stonemasons used to live. The magazine was built on top of the bastion. Legend has it that in 1730, a bolt of lightning struck the magazine, blowing it up. The year was named “the year of the great thunder” as it was heard all over the island. Tones of gunpowder burned causing many deaths and damaging nearby buildings, such as the Saint Dominic vaults, which had to be rebuilt. Nowadays this magazine has cultural uses. If we look closely we will see that the tip of this stronghold resembles a ship’s bow.